Okay so I guess I should update about this weekend, my party, or whatever the hell that was supposed to be.
Oh man, this is going to take hours, I'll bet, especially since I'm also in a very busy #warwick at the moment and it will distract me:J
- My mum's lift to London was late, and I became increasingly panicky that I wouldn't be able to set the house up in time
- People who were turned up, in no particular order: Sarah, James (Sarah's bloke), Glaysher (who left soon afterwards to fetch Fiona, they both came back later on), Amy, Matt, FDave (gods help me for inviting him but at least he didn't deliberately try to wreck my house), BDave, and Spark (yet another Dave we've met on IRC)
- Sarah brought balloons... how original... apart from one we drew a face on, and named "Mr Pinky", I stuck a big knife in all the rest of them:)
- Brief stint on the pool table, which was crap, it's an old, old and very small childrens table. No-one else hit the balls hard enough...
- People sitting in my room, listening to some of these records and not complaining too much. Lighting by yet another version of my strobe program (this one written in C, using ncurses, heh)
- BDave's cake! I told him not to bring one because I already had one, but he did, but it was fantastic! It was like a spongy thing, sort of chocolatey with this buttercream on top, very nice. Also at the time there were 8 people there so it was easy to cut up:)
- Kneeling in front of the table, about to blow out the candles (yes there were candles... I thought I said it wasn't a birthday party, but, oh well) I was invited to make a wish. Amy was standing next to me... I have never gotten such a big laugh from as little as a slow glance upwards...
- There followed lots of sitting in the front room talking crap and stealing each other's seats. I was standing most of the time, trying to keep a lid on the mess, with some success. In fact, with a couple of exceptions, that was going pretty well... So my wish was actually coming true (what, you thought it was something else?)
- People left, more seats became available. Time dragged on. The fact that most of those remaining were computer science types, and FDave, meant the conversation largely remained on the famous Two Topics of #warwick, that is computers and sex. Amy fell totally asleep on the sofa and was only woken up by my mum's alarm clock unexpectedly going off at around a quarter past six in the morning...
- Soon after that everyone else left and I started clearing up. I was on some kind of sugar rush so even walking to the recycling center to get rid of the bottles was easy. Nice morning too...
- My mum only noticed something had happened because I hadn't quite put the ornaments back correctly(!) and also that I was acting a bit panicky when she left late. Oh well.
So there you go, it was pretty successful in that nothing really bad happened to my house. I was being overprotective of it and indeed I was afraid people were bored, but I received a couple of decent comments and no real complaints to speak of, so whatever.
I was right, it took ages to finish this, IRC distracted me, bah