First there were people who can't take the hint when you don't reply to their emails. But what about when someone who clearly never wanted to see you ever again when you last knew them five years ago suddenly decides to contact you? Damnit I even got a letter, which I didn't read, despite the fact that the answer is probably in there.
Over half the sites on snafu
- never update, or have apparently been deleted
- have been updated recently to say that they are going to shut down soon but have not yet done so
- have changed into a picture that combines "80s indie fashion disaster" with "buttplug surprise"
Oh well, screw it and screw them. Quite frankly it wasn't worth getting snafu working again.
I've changed the stuff in the menu on the right again. In particular I fixed the bug in the archive index code that caused the link to the new month's archives to be incorrectly output when the last entry was before 5am on the 1st. Clicking on the link (correctly) resulted in a blank page being generated. Also it's now easier to highlight releases of new tracks if I ever get round to uploading any more.
I sleep during the hours most people in the UK work. I spend most of the awake-and-wishing-I-wasn't time lurking on SA. Therefore I'm there when it's busiest, so I get to see more of the funny stuff when it happens, rather than when it's dropped all the way down to page 7. That's one reason why I rarely update this site. "I read these threads today: ..."
Having said that I missed all the drama here the other day because it apparently happened around lunchtime when I was asleep.
Finally, some more Doom maps
- Real World I did this ages ago but it warrants a mention. It's 20 mostly small to medium sized maps. Many of them are homages to maps from the original games or well-known pwads like Hell Revealed. It's 8pack.wad with 12 extras randomly added in. The difficulty level goes up and down, unlike 8pack where it steadily got harder.
- Redux 6 maps that were very well made and in places felt really good to be in (I love areas with high ceilings and large-scale architecture. If they're open to the sky, all the better) For the most part it was pretty easy but there's a few places where it traps you in a small room with a lot of large monsters.
- Rebirth A 32 level set that came out of nowhere! Mostly small solid maps that aren't too confusing with a few that are a bit bigger. It has a lot of new graphics, including monster replacements, which are very creepy.
- NB_E1M01 This takes the very simple idea of combining Doom E1M1 and Doom2 MAP01 into a single map. It's extremely well executed and architecturally pretty flawless. If I could pick one fault, it's way too easy. However I guess it should be, because the originals are.
PS Last year it was the fence; this year the father is apparently going to attempt to fix up our run-down garden shed. This process is supposed to begin tomorrow. I hope it won't involve anything like the fence panel incident last year. I'll probably be asleep anyway. I hope I will be.